Qidi Extruder Upgrade Icarus 1.x Mod

• I was right in the process of printing my PC version of the Icarus.. but now I rather wait for the upgraded fanduct... 🥳 Where did you geht the Prusament PC CF from? On prusa's site it's always out of stock 😭

• Offizieller Beitrag

PC CF Blend at 290 / 110 C.

Can you do a fire test with it - and I would also be intrested where to get it if it is flame retardend. Just lighten a piece of filament with a torch and check if it stopps burning itself or if it continous... The Priline looks nice easy to print but is to weak for a fan duct. The Polymax FR is good and seems to work longterm but I like matt finish more.

• I was right in the process of printing my PC version of the Icarus.. but now I rather wait for the upgraded fanduct... 🥳 Where did you geht the Prusament PC CF from? On prusa's site it's always out of stock 😭

Yup got it from Prusa's shop, it's always out of stock so you must sign up for the notification and when you get the back in stock notice order within the hour else it is gone again. I bought two spools.

• Can you do a fire test with it - and I would also be intrested where to get it if it is flame retardend. Just lighten a piece of filament with a torch and check if it stopps burning itself or if it continous... The Priline looks nice easy to print but is to weak for a fan duct. The Polymax FR is good and seems to work longterm but I like matt finish more.

It's printing now, will test later :)

Had a printed test piece. Took a few tries to get it burning properly but then it burns continuos so it's not fully flame retardent.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von humebeam (5. September 2021 um 11:33)

• Can you do a fire test with it - and I would also be intrested where to get it if it is flame retardend. Just lighten a piece of filament with a torch and check if it stopps burning itself or if it continous... The Priline looks nice easy to print but is to weak for a fan duct. The Polymax FR is good and seems to work longterm but I like matt finish more.

Same for me: love the matte look! :love:

• Icarus Fan Duct version 1.2 released. Also, I've added a Mosquito hotend mount. Read more here:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4906011

It's compatible with vonwange's DIY hotend which is a Mosquito clone if you want to save some money over Dragon and certainly over genuine Mosquito, the latter is way overpriced IMO.

Edit: Small bug fix, moved the version text a little.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von humebeam (5. September 2021 um 21:26)

• Offizieller Beitrag

380 - 587 (+207) - 657 (+70)

Leightweight champion Icarus, against Middleweight 0.9 TL contra Heavyweight and strong LDO 1.8. BTW if someone want to buy a ready made Icarus - I have meanwhile parts here for two+. Not yet build but should be ready in 1-2 weeks. Just send be an message via Conversation - Shop is prepared but need to build another one in black for pictures and of course the documentation how to mount but it is 99% equal to Hercules except the eSteps.

• Today I finished my "Icarus". Since Humebeam kindly provided the STEP files, I was able to attach a mount for a BLtouch and adjust the cable holder.My X-Max runs with a Duet2. Thanks again to humebeam. If desired, I will of course publish the STEP/STL files on Thingiverse.

I still have to print the new fan. This will be my first print with the Icarus. By the way, the material is ePA-CF from eSun.

• Sooooo.

Maybe i should open a new Thread, but i will leave the descission to Olaf.

The first Version of Tw*eacarus is about to go online.

This Tweak of the Icarus is espacialy for those people which want to keep the 4020 Fan for Noise reduction and power.

So i moved the PCB Holder to the backside of the Part Cooler and opened the Frame do get space for the Hotend Fan.

Also i changed the Wire-holder according to humebeame´s latest gadget.

What you see at once is that the Frame is open at one side, so now the Fan is part of the strenght .
    This means to be carefull after printing not to breake it, additional in my opinion it is neccessary to mount the full extruder before clamp it on the linear guides.

But then the guides keep it rigid.

It is not printed by me yet, so i don´t know the effect on weight, but i don´t think it´s a lot.

Let´s hear your opinions.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Maybe i should open a new Thread, but i will leave the descission to Olaf.

Depends how to dicussion will continue.... let's continue here first.

I would also turn the cable holder to avoid an 90degree bend of the cable - but maybe needs some real testing.

Gerade den ersten PC-FR schwarz Icarus fertiggestellt - oder präziser zwei davon.

Was mir beim Funktionstest wieder aufgefallen ist: Die Filament unload funktion von Qidi gefällt mir nicht zusammen mit den Extrudern. Dieses Highspeed extrudieren funktioniert nicht wenn man nur eine kleine Menge "flüssiges" Filament hat und belastet nur die Mechanik. Ich würde also auf die Funktion eher verzichten und einfach das Filament durchlaufen lassen und neues von oben nachschieben.

• Das werde ich mir angucken, ich stehe ja auf den 4020 ,-) ...

Qidi X-Max/IcarusHotend/Duet2 Ethernet mit RR3.x

Ultimaker 2 Extended+/1,75mm/Bondtech Extruder/3D Solex Matchless V3/Duet2 Ethernet mit RR2.05

• Interesting :)

According to my earlier calculations I believe the Orbiter extruder will hit the PCB.

Version 1.2 is almost complete. It prints entirely without supports now, a few other fixes too.

• Depends how to dicussion will continue.... let's continue here first.

I would also turn the cable holder to avoid an 90degree bend of the cable - but maybe needs some real testing.

Gerade den ersten PC-FR schwarz Icarus fertiggestellt - oder präziser zwei davon.

Was mir beim Funktionstest wieder aufgefallen ist: Die Filament unload funktion von Qidi gefällt mir nicht zusammen mit den Extrudern. Dieses Highspeed extrudieren funktioniert nicht wenn man nur eine kleine Menge "flüssiges" Filament hat und belastet nur die Mechanik. Ich würde also auf die Funktion eher verzichten und einfach das Filament durchlaufen lassen und neues von oben nachschieben.

Looks nice :)

Yes I never use the unload filament function, I always feed in new from above.

• Interesting :)

According to my earlier calculations I believe the Orbiter extruder will hit the PCB.

Version 1.2 is almost complete. It prints entirely without supports now, a few other fixes too.

Damn, you´re right.
    All connectors are OK but the Motor connector.

Disappointing ?( .

Not so easy to solve.

One possibiity is to move the Holder 12-15 mm towards the Cable Bracket.

Other opportunity would be to install it at the front end side (like the original)

Since i don´t use the Dial Gauge Holder anyway, it´s worth a try...

Also, its structure will be significally weaker with this 4020 mount. Not saying it won't be strong enough but I would advise against it. :)

Yes, i mentioned it before.

But i´m not too concerned.

It´s more dangerous as long the Carriage is not mounted, yes, but as soon as it is clicked on the rails, there will not be a difference.
    The Linear Guides give the ridgity, not the carriage.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!